Whether you’ve attended one of our workshops at this year’s GEN Summit for journalists in Athens, or you found this page another way, here you’ll find resources from two of our sessions. The first was about Subscriptions on Facebook and led by Henry Chong, Partner Engineer, Facebook Media Partnerships. The second was on Instagram Stories and led by Andrea Willford, Instagram Partner Manager, Facebook. Check out lessons from the workshops below.
WORKSHOP 1: Enhance Your Digital Subscription Strategy With Facebook
Thursday, June 13 at 4:45pm
Henry Chong, Partner Engineer, Facebook Media Partnerships
As a partner engineer, Henry combines technical and engineering skills with business consultancy, working in collaboration with publishers and organizations to ensure that Facebook products and features deliver their intended value to the news and media ecosystem. Henry is based in Facebook London, but works with publishers across Europe, Middle East and Africa.
About the Workshop
Attendees of this workshop gained hands-on knowledge on how Facebook can support their subscriptions business. Through an introduction to Facebook’s Instant Article Subscriptions product, and covering the various content and audience insights available to use through our platforms, they learned what they could do today to unlock the full potential of their overall digital subscription strategy.
- Featured Lessons on Subscriptions from our Accelerator Program
- Leveraging Your Newsroom to Promote Digital Subscriptions
- Acquiring and Retaining Subscribers
- Optimizing Your Checkout Flow
- Mastering the Mid-Funnel
- Insights into Optimizing Marketing Operations
- Supporting Subscriptions Based News Publishers
- Maximizing the Facebook Pixel for Publishers
- Le Monde: A Case Study on Using Facebook and Instagram Ads to Attract Subscribers
- Best Practices to Promote Your Subscriptions
- Creating Call-To-Action Units
WORKSHOP 2: Instagram: Visual Storytelling & News
Friday, June 14 at 12:45pm
Andrea Willford, Instagram Partner Manager, Facebook
Andrea oversees Strategic Partnerships across EMEA for Instagram, in both established and emerging markets, working with partners in News, Entertainment and Sports. Before joining Instagram, Andrea worked in publishing for the past 10 years in London, Sydney and New York.
About the Workshop
With a community of more than a billion people worldwide, including many newsmakers and cultural icons, Instagram is a powerful place for news organizations and publishers to find new audience. Attendees who joined this workshop learned the latest best practices for visual storytelling on Instagram, and how to develop audiences and build business on the platform.
We often get asked what kind of publisher content works best on Instagram. The truth is there’s no simple answer. Every audience and every account is different, and it’s important to test and learn what makes the most sense for your own community. Study your own data. What are people engaging with most? Also, consider asking your community what it is they want to see from you.
With that in mind, here are 10 practices that have worked well for news and publishing accounts to build their audience:
- Study your data. Find what resonates and be consistent.
- Program for a younger audience on Instagram.
- Experiment with all the content types — photos, videos, Stories, Live, IGTV, etc. — to maximize your chances of appearing on the Explore page so more people can discover your content.
- Create immersive and authentic content by using your phone.
- Take advantage of the swipe up function in Stories to drive subscriptions or drive traffic to your own sites.
- Use personalities to tell your stories. People engage with content that includes faces!
- Interactivity is your secret weapon for engaging your community. Why not try polls in your Stories?
- Help people find your content with hashtags and location tags.
- Add your best Stories to your Highlights to intro new followers and build your brand on your profile.
- Make sure you’re posting regularly to keep your community engaged.
Featured Instagram Case Stories from FacebookJournalismProject.com
- How Bloomberg Pulled Ahead of the Pack on Instagram
- How InStyle’s Golden Globes Instagram elevator racks up views, dollars
- How Journalist Jessica Yellin Built a Loyal Audience On Instagram Around Selfie-Style News
Key Resources for Media from the Instagram Help Center
- IGTV how-to guides including production and distribution tips
- Stories and Live Video common questions answered in detail
- Instagram Creators Tool best practices on video creation and management
“The Global Editors Network (GEN) is an international association of over 6,000 editors-in-chief and media executives with the mission of fostering digital innovation in newsrooms all over the world. GEN has three main programs: Editors Lab, the Data Journalism Awards, Startups for News, as well as the Data Journalism Den (The Den), the global hub for the international data journalism community. The organization’s flagship event, the GEN Summit, gathers over 750 participants from 70 countries.” (Source: GEN About Us)
About the Facebook Journalism Project
In order to support high-quality journalism, the Facebook Journalism Project works to create strong ties with the news industry by building community through news by training journalists and publishers around the world, and by working with partners to support quality news.
To stay up-to-date and in-the-know with our latest events, programs and announcements, sign up for our newsletter.